The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam for recruitment to various subordinate services like:
• Assistants in Ministries/Departments, Attached and Subordinate office of the Govt. of India.
• Inspectors of Central Excise & Customs.
• Inspectors of Income Tax.
• Preventive Officers in Customs.
• Examiner in Customs.
• Sub-Inspectors in Central Bureau of Narcotics & CBI.
• Assistant Enforcement Officer in Directorate of Enforcement, Department of Revenue.
• Divisional Accountant, Jr. Accountant, Auditor & UDCs in various offices of Govt. of India.
• Auditor Offices under C&AG, CGDA, CGA & others.
• Accountant/ Junior Accountant
• Tax Assistant in CBDT and CBEC
• Compiler in Registrar General of India.
|Tier – I||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based (online)|
|Tier – II||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based (online)|
|Tier – III||Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi||Pen and Paper mode|
|Tier – IV||Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test||Wherever Applicable|
• SSC CGL 2018 Tier 1 and Tier 2 exam will be conducted in online mode.
• Introduction of a descriptive paper of 100 marks within 60 minutes in pen and paper mode.
• Reduction in time limit for examination of Tier -I from 75 minutes to 60 minutes.
• Tier II will remain same.
• No Sectional Cut off.
|Section||Subject||No of Questions||Max Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||60 minutes|
There is negative marking in SSC CGL 2018 Tier 1 Exam. Giving a wrong answer to a question will lead to a penalty of 0.5 marks in all sections
The exam duration is 80 minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped.
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||General Awareness||Quantitative Aptitude||English Comprehension|
|Classification||Static General Knowledge (Indian History, Culture etc.)||Simplification||Reading Comprehension|
|Analogy||Science||Interest||Fill in the Blanks|
|Puzzle||Sports||Percentage||Phrases and Idioms|
|Matrix||Books and Authors||Ratio and Proportion||One word Substitution|
|Word Formation||Important Schemes||Problem on Ages||Sentence Correction|
|Venn Diagram||Portfolios||Speed, Distance and Time||Error Spotting|
|Direction and Distance||People in News||Number System|
|Verbal reasoning||Time and Work|
|Paper||Subject||No of Questions||Max Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||Quantitative Abilities||100||200||2 Hours|
|2||English Language and Comprehension||200||200||2 Hours|
|4||General Studies (Finance & Economics)||100||200||2 Hours|
• Paper-1 and Paper-2 are compulsory for all posts
• Paper-3 is only for the post of “Statistical Investigator Gr. II” & “Compiler”
• Paper-4 is only for the post of “Assistant Audit Officer”
• There is negative marking in SSC CGL 2018 Tier 2 exam. Giving a wrong answer to a question will lead to a penalty of 0.5 marks in Paper-1,3,4 and 0.25 marks in Paper-2.
• Questions in Paper-I will be of 10th standard level, Paper-2 of 10+2 level and Paper-3 & 4 of graduation level.
• The computer will be provided by the Commission at the Centre/venue notified for the purpose. Candidates shall not be allowed to bring their own Key-board.
• The exam duration is 2 Hours and 40 Minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped.
|Quantitative Aptitude||English Language||Statistics||General Awareness|
|Simplification||Reading Comprehension||Collection and Representation of Data||Finance and Accounting|
|Interest||Spelling||Measure of Dispersion||Fundamental Principles|
|Averages||Fill in the Blanks||Measure of Central Tendency||Financial Accounting|
|Percentage||Phrases and Idioms||Moments, Skewness and Kurtosis||Basic Concepts of Accounting|
|Ratio and Proportion||One Word Substitution||Correlation and Regression||Self-Balancing Ledger|
|Speed, Distance and Time||Sentence Correction||Random Variables||Error Spotting and Correction|
|Number System||Error Spotting||Random Variables|
|Mensuration||Cloze Test||Sampling Theory||Economics and Governance|
|Data Interpretation||Para Jumbles||Analysis and Variance||Comptroller and Auditor General of India|
|Time and Work||Synonyms-Antonyms||Time Series Analysis||Finance Commission|
|Algebra||Active-Passive Voice||Index Number||Theory of Demand and Supply|
This is a descriptive exam that is designed to test the written skills of the candidates in English/Hindi. It is conducted offline and candidates need to write Essay/Letter/Application/Precis. The best way to prepare for the same is to read lots of articles from various newspapers. Apart from this, you need to be well aware of the pattern of Letter and Application.
• The exam is of 60 minutes’ duration and carries 100 marks.
• The questions are based on 10+2 level.
• The exam is qualifying in nature.
• The exam duration is 80 minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped or suffer from cerebral palsy.
The Tier 4 of SSC CGL Exam 2018 comprises of a couple of skill tests which are required for certain government posts.
1. DEST (Data Entry Speed Test): This skill test is of qualifying nature for all the posts, other than Compiler, and is used to check the typing speed of the candidate. The candidates are given printed matter in English which they must accurately type on a computer with a minimum of 2000 (two thousand) key depressions in a duration of 15 (fifteen) minutes.
2. CPT (Computer Proficiency Test):The Commission will hold CPT, comprising three modules – Word Processing, Spread Sheet and Generation of Slides, for applicants for the post of Assistants of CSS(Assistant), MEA(Assistant), Inspector (Central Excise) [CBEC], Inspector (Preventive officer)[CBEC] & Inspector (Examiner)[CBEC]. CPT will be of a qualifying nature.